"I'm the greatest [better] you ever gonna get"

March 25th, 2019
68 days remaining
Thailand, Isan, Udornthani Ward 

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net


There once was a tale of a tragic mess.
Of an elder who gave his all, but always seemed to be less.
He tried and failed (the latter more often),
But no matter what the trials never seemed to soften. 
He would be happy then sad, each day who knew
Until he learned a principle anew
HE WAS THE BETTEREST OF THEM ALL 

How the flagnard have y'all been? As the poem shows (dramatically), my mission has been a roller coaster of being happy and proud of my spiritual experiences that happen and other great things tempered with many days of doubt and low self-esteem. In a society where perfectionism and competition run rampant, it is hard when you don't measure up. Being on a mission doesn't make one immune- language, finding, teaching, leadership, singing, and so many other things demand the best. But what are we measuring against? The best of others? That is WRONG. 

"I want to tell you something that I hope you will take in the right way: God is fully aware that you and I are not perfect. Let me add: God is also fully aware that the people you think are perfect are not. And yet we spend so much time and energy comparing ourselves to others—usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths. This drives us to create expectations for ourselves that are impossible to meet. As a result, we never celebrate our good efforts because they seem to be less than what someone else does." Elder Uchtdorf, Forget Me Not 2011

"If we must compare, let us compare how we were in the past to how we are today—and even to how we want to be in the future." Elder Cornish, Am I Good Enough? Will I Make It? 2016

And that's what I realized this week. I'm not the best. I've never been. I've mostly never been first, president, number one, or anything of the like. But I'm normally up there. 

I consider myself a jack of all trades type, for I've never had the patience to really get good at any one thing. And that used to bum me out, because I wasn't ever the best or top of anything. I needlessly compared myself to others. But I don't need to be the best when I'm the betterest. The most better, in a competition against myself. This is a Gospel of self improvement and when it comes to matters like that, I need to stick to myself. And when I'm the better best, I've done what I should. 

We've had a lot of people start coming really close to baptism. It is awesome seeing them transform as they learn, accept, and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Lastly, if anyone would look to hook me up with some great summer work (in Texas) when I come home, that would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone has any scholarships to throw my way 😉.

Elder Montague
เอ็ลเดอร์ มอนทากิว
Thailand Bangkok Mission 


Hanging with investigators

Always fun when you get to chill with some kids

We will have our coconut

You do what you have to do to teach - English class

Sometimes they don't really understand English - a gift to us :/


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!