taste the rainbow

March 11th, 2019
1 year, 9 months
Thailand, Isan, Udornthani Ward 

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net

The big highlight of the week was district conference! All of the neighboring units from around came together to receive instruction, be edified, and have a party! I was able to see some awesome members and a few returned missionaries! It was a blast. Myself and another elder translated the talks. 

The missionaries performed an original hymn/hymn arrangement, composed by Sister Harris in my district. I translated the lyrics from Thai (script) to Romanized Thai, so that the Hammonds, who were participating, could sing along. President Hammond and his youngest child can both read Thai. His wife and two daughters can't, so I essentially translated the sounds into English so they could read it. That took some focus for me as I hadn't done something like that before.   

One of the speakers spoke of the fearless independence of Ruth and Esther. Both of these women truly are admirable examples to look to. As I am nearing going home, leaving this spiritual banquet, I have found myself assessing myself to really make sure I am ready to keep progressing at this pace on my own. To make sure that I don't falter or digress.

President Hammond related a modern-day parable, of a man who came home from work starving. He normally wouldn't make any food until his wife had made dinner, but this day he didn't want to wait. This day also happened to find a nice plump watermelon on the countertop. So the man sliced it up and started devouring what he found to be the most delicious, sweetest watermelon he had eaten. He stopped himself from eating the entire thing by himself (if no one else had it, there would be no credibility to the claim!). So he called out to what he soon discovered to be an empty house. He sliced it up and took it out, determined to share it with a neighbor. But he soon found he was living on a deserted street; no one seemed to be home. Finally, he heard the sound of instruments being played. He rushed over to the house, but no one answered the door. Not to be deterred, he went around to a side window where he found a group of kids practicing their rock band. They were startled at first, thinking he was coming to complain, but after he insisted that they come over to try the fruit, they too agreed that it was the most delicious and sweetest watermelon they had eaten. He went home satisfied.

Family and friends, this is what I am out here doing. This is why I email home even when I have already talked to my family. This is what I spend hours doing each and every day. The prophet Lehi said it best in 1 Nephi 8:11-12,

"And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."

I invite everyone (including the members) to try the fruit again. Read your scriptures, say a prayer, and savor that feeling. Then share it with others. Help someone else to feel that divine love, that "exceedingly great joy".  And you know, they might not accept it. But they (shouldn't) be mad that you are trying to share the best thing you can with them. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


Elder Montague
เอ็ลเดอร์ มอนทากิว
Thailand Bangkok Mission



Getting our hands dirty doing service

Our Udorn mascots

Wat parties!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!