Udornthickie

January 28th, 2019
1 year, 8 months
Thailand, Isan, Udornthani Ward 


samuel.montague@myldsmail.net

It's ya boi monti hitting you up in the straight up ISAN. I have moved to Udornthani, pronounced Ooo-dawn-tan-e. อุดรธานี. 

It has been super wild getting here. I went to bed super late in thonburi, had to wake up super early so I could sit around all day while we waited to leave by overnight bus. Fun story there: so they had worked it all out so that there were just 3 of us going back, but we were all heading up to the Isan new, spread out between three different areas. This meant that we all had luggage and bikes. So we had to take 3 seperate taxis to the bus station. As the mother hen, I insisted that the other elders went first . . . but the taxi situation was sketch. None of them were even stopping for us on the street, and the few that did rejected us. Members had to call Grab Taxi for us! Cool story though, I was really frustrated with trying to call taxi's because it was so unproductive. I thought prayed "what do I need to do? I am trying everything". I was frustrated because the members were only able to call 2 taxi's at a time, and the time was getting nearer and nearer for departure. I had the thought (impression) to invite someone. I was like fine, but the next taxi better take me then. So I chatted with someone and invited them to come learn with us in the future, then I stopped the next taxi. Sure enough, he took us. In rapid succession, the 2 other taxi's appeared.

But for a time period of about an hour and a half, I was by myself. It was strange, liberating, and uncomfortable.

So we bus all the way up and get in around 6 am. We each had to take our own tuk tuk with our stuff. It was chilly (it gets cold here in the mornings and evenings!!!!). I finally met my new companion and had just enough time to realize I was going to complete 3 days with no showering and no outfit change. I did my best to deodorant up and hesitantly asked if we were going to meet any members on that my first day (we did, a lot).

Elder Iliatu Taufa Felila (ill-i-a-duu daow-fa feh-lee-la) is Tongan, which was his first language until he forgot most of it. He grew up California and Tonga for just a few years, but really he has just lived his whole life in Bountiful, Utah. He is a big boy. He has a scholarship to play football at U of U. He has picked up the guitar and ukulele, sings, and is so fun and chill. 

President has challenged us to have FINDING FEBRUARY. He wants us to find at least one new person to begin teaching everyday in preparation for the temple and baptisms that are gonna start pouring out. We have had a great time trying to do this everyday and I am looking forward to the miracles that will continue pouring out from these our efforts.

It has led to some fun situations though. Udorn is a huge area, with a ton of short cuts. I have barely been here and haven't really had the chance to learn the area because we take a different route everywhere. In Solo Elder, S1E2 we find myself stopping to talk and invite a group of boys without having sufficiently alerted my companion. Luckily, we were going to the church and I knew how to ask to get there, but I made it there without him. He had gone back to the park we had been at to start trying to find me..... I turned out with a prayer to find him and was quickly reunited! Yay!

For those that have been keeping track, it has been like a year, but add another tally to flat tires Elder Montague has racked up. I had to replace my tube .... again.

I've been able to meet some great members, a few people we teach, and have served! I am really excited to work here. I am now unofficially the branch pianist (again) because there is apparently actually NO ONE that can play here. Elder Fe said that they do it acapella most weeks. I am not super good, I get worse in performance pressure, but the Lord has blessed me greatly in developing this talent to serve others here.

In Season 7 of Elder Montague's service as a missionary (because this is my 7th area . . . maybe season 8 though because of MTC), we have some characters making a comeback. In our district are the Sakon Nakhon elders. . . none other than Elder Walker (office Elder comp) and Elder Udomthan (a new missionary I brought through orientation as an office elder). Not in my district but in my house, we meet Elder Thornock (my other office Elder comp) and Elder Davis from the same group (he replaced me in my first area. We have the same trainer). God has stacked my (probably) last area! And this is a chosen land.

Today I finally took a small breather. I was able to clean up the house to my standard, mostly finish unpacking, find a bunch of clothes that fit perfectly, tan a little (the sun is warm, the wind is cool, and the air is fresh). Very relaxing day that still wasn't even lived up to it's potential. I can't wait to get on top of myself again and bully myself back to efficiency.

I saw the temple groundbreaking! First time. It was not what I expected, but still very significant and special!!! AND IT MEANS THE TEMPLE IS STARTING TO COME. The bells of hell are ringing, but the trumpets of heaven shall blast louder (@alexkeller).

Thailand and missions are literally the best and I feel bad for those of y'all that don't get to combine the two into a singular experience, but also God puts you into the perfect mission.

Blessings and love, chilluns



On my way in a Junk (taxi)

Out inviting with the Sisters

My new companion



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!