This is Mr. Worldwide


September 16th, 2018
15th month,  4th week
Thailand, Bangkok, Minburi Ward

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)


This week features colors because I am on a computer. It is also longer because I need to make up for a few terrible weeks.

I'm pretty sure my time here in the office is coming to a close. I'm actually a little sad about it now; we really started pumping up the work and we've been able to meet with less actives that have been referred to us.They are showing marked improvement already- all of the LA's except one that we've started working with went to church yesterday! That is way awesome. And they're all very well connected with each other and with an active group of members.

บ. ต้นกล้า (Bro. Tonkla)
I don't know how much I said about him, but he is the principal staff member for this beautiful bread place that missionaries have frequented for probably as long as it's been there. It is conveniently on the way between the office and the church / our house. He started working there at the end of last transfer, replacing an older lady. He's our age, and he was very friendly with us. We said hi few times, and then we learned each other's names. I ended up putting him in our area book, to help me remember his name, but as we were walking away that time I commented wow we're going to baptize him. The next time we went by him we introduced ourselves a little bit more in that we teach religion (he knew that we taught English). I offhandedly said that we would go by that night to teach him, and he agreed but I don't know if he really knew what he was getting himself into. We ended up going, and fast forward a few weeks later he is one of our best investigators. He took a date for baptism, and he is progressing in the knowledge of the gospel. He's a miracle.

ซ. มุ่ย (Sis. Mui):
She's another miracle. I contacted her on the SkyTrain on our way home from one of our Bangkok trainings. She seemed mildly interested, but she wouldn't let me get her phone number, however she did take a pamphlet. Well she at least looked at it a little bit, because she called us a day or two later. We ended up FaceTime teaching her that day. She had a lot of questions about the Plan of Salvation. She came back with even more questions that evening texting us. We've met with her a few times, most recently Saturday night. She is so ready and so prepared and converted. Last P day, she actually called us asking questions about the copyrights of the Book of Mormon, because she wants to include themes, stories, quotes, and other things into the children's books that she illustratesOur last lesson, she was talking about how she wants to share this message and proselyte it to other people. Honestly, our biggest struggle with her is helping her realize that she's already converted. She said she believes in God and she believes in all that, she just has a personal problem she wants to overcome before she feels that she is ready for baptism. ไม่ว่า she said several prayers answered, and again she believes in the Book of Mormon in the church and in God.

So things have started looking way up for this area! Additionally, we finished with the trainings and I think next transfer will be very สบายๆ in that they'll be able to focus on the work. This is why I'm a little sad to leave the area, which isn't 100% confirmed but if we follow the patterns of the past I am leaving. We find out Tuesday night though. We've been able to do a lot of contacting, and we found a few potential people. Also some of the members we've been working with are telling us about how they want their friends to learn or their family, so there's another exciting tangent we get to follow.

One of our many flights this week
This last Thursday and Friday we completed our training circuit. With President Hammond, we flew first to ร้ยเอ็ด (Roiet) for Thursday, and then flew back to Bangkok to fly Friday morning to and from อุดร (Udorn). Basically 4 flights in 2 days.  They were both basically mini zone conferences. We had extra time after training before we flew back because P. Hammond was interviewing the missionaries as he does. 

On Thursday we ended up going with the Roiet District to do service. I've been wanting to do service for so long, and while this was a bit of a nasty one (we cleaned the floors of the house, we cleaned the bathroom, and we hand wash sheets for a house that was just permeated with urine) I caught myself and was able to change my disposition to be more cheerful and Christ-like and loving. I really was thankful for the opportunity to serve. On Friday, we were in the area where my companion spent his Greenie Hood (his first transfer area [6 week period]). So we met up with some members and recent converts, and we're able to teach a few lessons. That was very exciting!

That's basically our week at-a-glance! In the following days, I will be driving with my companion to go pick up the 20 incoming missionaries, and then we'll spend a day or two with them just getting them through their training and through various errands they need so they are legal here.  And then transfers happen on Thursday!

A day or so ago, I was studying in the Book of Mormon (555). Some background info: the two major groups, the Nephites and Lamanites, have really now kind of combined into just one massive group of an evil, disobedient, cruel people. Now I'm sure there were a few good eggs, because Mormon, the author of this book, was certainly one of them. From a young age he began his gospel learning, and we find out that he received much instruction. After having learned the Gospel of Jesus Christ, verse 16 reflects his feelings: 

"And I did endeavor to preach unto this people, but my mouth was shut, and I was forbidden that I should preach unto them;"

I was shocked! This was exactly what I feel like Sister Mui was displaying. This intense desire to share the good news with as many people as we can. Honestly, once we have reached true conversion the only thing that should be stopping us from sharing the message with others is God himself. And this instance, the people were harden in their hearts and weren't in a position to be able to humbly listen and accept to the message.  So the Lord forbade Mormon from doing so. But our investigator wants to share it already! This is how I know she is converted - it is a marked sign of conversion. How converted are we even, if we are not actively desiring and wanting to share the gospel with others? How could we develop this desire? I propose three things:

-study the scriptures and learn
-pray for the desire 
-go out and do it!

Sharing the gospel has changed my life, and I know it can change yours even if you don't do it full time (but you definitely should consider it). Sharing true happiness brings true happiness!


Loving all of  God's creatures....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!