End of First Transfer

September 3rd, 2017
3 months, 11 days
Thailand, Bangkok, Bangna (บางนา) District



Last week on Pday, we ended up playing 2 rounds of Lazer Tag with a lot of Young Single Adults (YSA). It is good to do these type of activities as it allows us to build relationships with ward members outside of church so they will trust us better.  Also it allows them to bring their friends in a "non church" environment so they feel more comfortable.  With that said, it was soooo much fun.  Of course it may have been more fun because I rocked it as was #1 for both rounds. 

 And we finished the time off by going to Swensons (ice cream shop) as a huge group right after.  I enjoyed a special item from the menu I never previously tried.  We concluded the day with a farewell party for one of the members, who is leaving today to China for college.







View from the Skytran
On Wednesday, we had a unusual experience. A member from somewhere else, that we've never met before, was in Bangna for a work meeting and wanted to see our new building. So we came and showed her and to thank us she brought us food.  Then as we went out to proselyte,  we agreed to "take" her home so on our way to BTS via skytran to Imperial, she bought us crepes.  Then she stuck around and worked with us while we were inviting; she was real excited about it as she wants to serve a mission soon.  When you feel the Spirit at moments like this and see it in others, it makes the hard work worth it.  

Later that night, we went to a member's house for dinner. I had bbq chicken, chips, soda, fish, and other fun, yummy, and American foods. It was so nice that they did "home cooking" for us and put the thought and effort into it beforehand.  And did I say it was good!
.
It is such a trip being on a mission as I'm exposed to so many different people that I normally wouldn't be and I get a chance to see the amount of diversity in thoughts and philosophies.  For example, on Friday, we had a chance to circle back to a previous investigator that the previous Elders had stopped teach.  His name is Jason and we wanted to try and reconnect with him and see if maybe we could bring the Spirit to him and help him along his journey.  Jason comes to church every week and he states he's read and believes in the Book of Mormon.  Yet at the same time, he's also read and believes in 2 other religious books. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around. We introduced baptism, and he informed us that he doesn't need to be baptized.  "Because I've already been baptized by the spirit. And I'm Jason. I don't need to be physically baptized because I'm Jason."   I will say it caught me off guard  as I didn't see that coming especially from an older gentleman.  

On Saturday, we went into Asoke and finally had our interviews with President Johnson, which we do every transfer. I guess I must have been a little anxious about it (not sure why) but it turned out to be a nice experience - calming and I felt the Spirit that assured me.  President Johnson really listened to what I said, and I felt sincerely and individually loved.

Sunday was exciting as we had an investigator come to church Sunday.  Alex is a 14 year old girl, 1/2 Thai 1/2 Spaniard, who lives by herself at her school (not too uncommon here).  She speaks 3 languages (English being one of them), while I'm struggling to learn my second 😃. She came at 9 am (in a basketball jersey- I admire her independence) and stayed until 6 or 7 pm. Even for me I consider that A LONG time at church.  Our first lesson with her was literally the day before. She loved it, and is committing to come every week. Here, we fast Saturday dinner to Sunday Breakfast so the ward can still eat lunch together. I had SO much food for lunch.  We had left to go teach some lessons but then came back to church  and they had MORE food out. I love it here.  The members are so generous and accepting and I really appreciate that as I continue to try and learn the language better so I can do more.

Monday started with a pancake breakfast. We participated in a weird promotional video for a YSA activity this weekend. I learned my colors in Thai which is almost as important as being able to ask where the bathroom is or the library.... We finished with Family Home Evening (FHE) at the Bishop's family. They treated us to a  delicious dinner with little orange cakes and brownies, spiritual message, then fun times. I've gotten good enough that I can joke in Thai on occasion, which is amazing. We played Head's Up which of course was so much fun and reminded me of some of FHEs from back home.


My current district

Tuesday was our weekly district meeting.  The mission is organized for administrative purposes into first as the mission, then into zones, then down into districts.  Districts usually have 4 to 6 sets of missionaries in them with one district leader (currently my senior companion).  And we get together weekly to review our activities and offer support to each other.  At the end, we did 2 additional things. First, as the title implies, it is the end of  my first transfers in country, which means some of us are moved around.  Like with any pending action, we all made our predictions for everyone in our district. Then we did our first Tim Tam Slam! It's amazing- just google it.

I taught much of English class, then Elder Kekauoha (my companion) got The Call. The Call tells us what's happening with everyone. There were plenty of surprises, but the most surprising was perhaps me! I am being transferred to Chaing Mai! Which means I'm doing my packing today (which is why Pdays are on Wednesdays at the end of transfers, or 6 week periods) and I will go to the office and meet my new senior companion tomorrow. It also means I'm not the youngest in the mission anymore- the group after me is here! It's exciting, and I'm so turnt to go to Chaing Mai. At the same time, I'm heartbroken to leave Bangna, all of it's members, my investigators who I'm so concerned about, and this wonderful district. But I asked President Johnson to put me with whoever he felt I would grow most with (I feel like I've learned most of what I will from Elder K).  Elder Kekauoha has been great and the next missionary he starts training will be lucky to have him.  However I fasted, I prayed, and it's been answered- I've already heard  great things about my new companion and hope to learn from him as much as I did from Elder Kekauoha.


Here's to loving the past, but always looking forward!

Elder Montague,
On the misison, On the move

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!