Chiang Mai Mind Is Blown



September 11th, 2017
3 months, 19 days
Thailand, Bangkok, Chiang Mai District


What a super crazy week this has been! On Wednesday, we did some shopping, bowling, taught a few lessons, and had Shabu with members! These people have been so kind and loving to me- I am truly going to miss them soooo much. They were generous and gave me and my mom (the eldest sister missionary in the district during the time of training, which is the first two transfers; the same for  dads. Since I moved for my second transfer, I have "step parents" and  so many gifts and memorabilia. My mom, Sis Courchaine, was leaving after having spent 4 transfers there- since March. I was lucky to ride on that wave as she was fantastic and helped me with great advice.



That night was spent finishing up packing and completing friendship books (scrapbooks that we fill out for each other essentially). Since I hadn't expected to leave, I didn't have anything prepared until that Pday, so I had lots of catching up to do.

We got up and left for the mission office in Asoke at 5. Then we sat around, socialized and reconnected, until the end of the meeting our trainers were in, around 10 or so. My new companion, Elder Hanks from Springville, Utah, and I went out to lunch with a member who loved him (seriously everyone here is great). We did some running around, I bought a bike off of my mom (for a reduced price, I love her) because she was transferred to a non biking area, and she leaves in December. Then all of the new people in our district went to the trains, loaded up, and took off. 

It was a super nice train, and they converted our seating areas into beds. My companion and I got to know each other, set some expectations, brought me up to speed on the members in my new ward, and then we went to bed for the 11 hour train ride up to Chaing Mai (northern part of Thailand).  Once we woke up, with much maneuvering and a few trips, everyone got home.






We haven't really had a chance to teach too many lessons, because this weekend ended up being District Conference (the north doesn't have any wards/ stakes). There were 2 General Authorities, President and Sister Johnson, and many district and branch presidencies. We went on splits with a lot of the higher ups, and I had the chance to visit and teach two less active members. And then of course we had a lot of sessions of conference. All the North missionaries came up, and we had the chance to meet as a group with the General Authorities, primarily Elder Peter Meurs (2nd counselor in Asia Area Presidency). The members still set out food for everyone after the Sunday general session, and there was SOO MUCH. We ate, then held 4 baptisms back to back. I had the awesome experience of being able to be a witness for all of them.

Chiaing Mai feels amazing- it is cool and windy all day. There is a ton of green, rain, and mountains. For Pday today, we went into the mountains, and visited a peak. It was a tourist spot, but also the mountain people's strawberry farm? We rode these weird carts down a small hill, then visited a waterfall.

It's been an exciting day, and we still have more to go! I am so pumped for Chiang Mai!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!