Things finally settling down


September 17th, 2017
3 months, 25 days
Thailand, Bangkok, Chaing Mai District


We did a service project Tuesday for a recent convert where we cleaned up and "mowed" (we just pulled everything). It was some pretty hard work. We had a very spiritual and focused district meeting, where we did some role plays, planned for English, and prepared for the next week. English class was a breeze- we taught the beginner class with the other elders in our district. Tuesday was also the first time I had to bike to the church in full church clothes- it is a very long bike ride and hot with enough humidity to take a shower in the open air.  I died a little.


We went to the hospital for flu shots this week, so that was exciting. We also traveled to แม่โจ (Maejo)  University multiple times for studies, lunch, inviting, and teaching. It's truly a great place- the students there are so open and willing to know about the gospel. And that's about the age range who are instantly like younger philang (white people).  So it's super easy to start up conversations and move that into discussions about gospel principles. For example, we were planning to study in the library but on the way there a girl started talking to us and we were able to teach her the first lesson and commit her to a follow up visit.  Another instance we said hi to a group of students, which segued into us teaching them the first lesson as well - even though it caused them to be late for class (they insisted on staying). Not only is it great for my self confidence in practicing and learning the language, it also helps a ton with getting new investigators!  But most importantly, the university also has the cheapest food I've come across in Thailand- a plate of rice with 2 different meal toppings for 25฿ (less than $1)! I've been in love with that, especially now that I bike everywhere and I always seem so hungry.  I don't feel so bad when I get 2 plates.

We also do a lot of work in our neighborhood, because it's so large and full of untapped potential.
Sunday was our first regular church schedule. Our branch services start at 11, at which point we eat lunch there. Then we went to Gospel Principles and during Priesthood we attended young men's to help with translation, because the teacher is an American, so I understood it!).  As soon as church was over, we had meal #2! I love it here. 

Sorry the email is so short- all we really do is study, invite, and teach (which is my purpose anyways). Some other fun things that happened- on the way out of a market, I totally tripped over my bike and fell down. Before I was even down, I was laughing. The same night, my companion ordered Swensons ice cream to be delivered to us- it was amazing!

Okeedokey! One of the things I found interesting this week was the Apocrypha in the Bible Dictionary- I had no idea that was a thing, or that it is considered canon. Spiritual thought of the week comes from 2 Nephi 25:23:
For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.

So I ask of myself and you, what are you doing to fulfill this? If you read the chapter, or even just the verse, you'll notice that it doesn't say you do this only as a missionary.  So again, how are you fulfilling this definition of a Latter-day Saint that Nephi created?

Love you all! Stay safe from the signs of the times *cough* I mean natural disasters!




--
เอ็ลเดอรื มอนทากิว
Elder Montague

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!