I Shattered My Feet

October 22nd, 2018
16th month,  4th week
Thailand, Bangkok, Thonburi Ward

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)



 

 Last Monday we didn't have any Family Home Evening plans, so we decided to go to an area where a few of the people we teach live. We contacted a surprising good amount of them and after we finished we were starting to go home.  It is a half hour bus ride back and I was feeling sick. After we got off the bus, we took a path that was further back to invite on the way, but I wasn't really feeling it. We started walking by a small home where the mom was operating a small drink stand (common here), and I felt like I should go back and invite them. It turned out amazing.

This is one of the only times on my mission when I've asked to enter somebody's home upon first meeting them, and being invited in and being able to teach the whole family that's present. We don't go knocking on doors in Thailand so we do a lot of outside on the spot teaching. But we went in and started teaching this family with mixed levels of acceptance. From this visit though we invited them to our English class and they came.  So we returned to their house since and then they brought more of their friends and extended family into our teaching pool! It is hard to comprehend how many people have at least come in contact with the Gospel because I followed a prompting! There are so many kids in the family and they are all very excited and the parents are open and brought us to their real house (the original spot we met was apparently just their store).

Bread Activity
We made a goal this week to have an appointment with a member each day, with particular focus on less active (LA) members. It seems like everything has been working against us this whole transfer, as we've tried so hard to actually make contact with people and get appointments in. Well, we were unexpectedly blessed this week as we had an LA appointment for everyday this week. On the one day we had a ผิดนัด, he rescheduled for today (FHE!) and we ended up doing an impromptu activity of making bread (a LOT less people showed up than we planned on. The bread was delicious though).

Sunset by our apt
So for the title of this week's email. On Wednesday, we were at home studying. My companion's bed is on the floor in between my study desk and my bed. Sometime I pray kneeling on one of our beds because I'm not about to get knee problems. Today I was a little restless and wanted to shake things up. So I decided to jump from my desk to my bed. I landed it perfectly on my knees. Unfortunately my mattress, as good as it is, is dumb sometimes. Instead of acting like a bed, it acted as a trampoline. My feet slammed into the bedframe.  

I laughed at myself but also my feet really hurt. I ended up talking to the nurse. It may be just a minor fracture. I've been icing it, staying off my foot a lot, taking ibuprofen, and I got a blessing. I've also been wearing shoes that has helped reduce the pain. It's not that bad, it's just the very top arch of my foot which all shoes latch onto. After a few days it feels a lot better.  Occasionally I may feel it a tinge but at least, I don't limp anymore!.



We are building strong and meaningful 
Pday meal with our district
relationships with our members here. An initiative that we are trying to start is Thonburi flag of Freedom. It is modeled after the Moroni's flag in the Book of Mormon, where in it declared their independence and their freedom and their desire to keep it that way. We are starting this initiative here with the vision to more directly involve members in missionary efforts. Because honestly, we can do all we want on her own, but the most sure way to baptize lifelong converts, is to make sure that they're involved with members.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!