Insights of Thai Life

August 5st, 2018
14th month, 2nd week
Thailand, Bangkok, Minburi Ward

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)


"You're not you when you're hungry" -Snickers 

To expound on that, the Lord's prophets and apostles have said the following:

"For example, being bored, lonely, angry, anxious, afraid, stressed, hungry, or tired can make it more difficult to (be your normal self). Being aware of these conditions and emotions will allow you to respond to what you are feeling in a positive and constructive way." -Safeguards for Using Technology 

Wow. Let me you say how true this is. Whenever I experience the above emotions, I am not myself😕. Particularly last week's Pday, when we woke up early to go to the beach area. Apparently I am an old man, and my body cannot handle not getting enough sleep. I did NOT respond in a positive and constructive way. This also occurs, though not as obviously, when I am "bored, lonely, angry, anxious, afraid, stressed, hungry, or tired".

But the beach was worth it! So much fun going around to the different cultural sites on Ko Si Chang- which for those of you that have been with me for my journey may recognize I went to this island for my first Pday in country. This past week I have also passed my year mark in country. Which means I āđ€āļ—ี่āļĒāļ§'d same place within a few days of my country year mark! Sad realization to know I am counting down the time now, but I still have 2 more phone calls to my mom before my mission ends - so no worries on my time left yet! 

Speaking of year marks, it is a missionary tradition to burn a shirt at your year mark. I did not (I instead left a shirt behind), but one of our Office Elder duties we dispose of unusable clothing from missionaries about to leave.  We collect so much because they typically stay at out house their last night before flying home.  So they dump stuff here to make more room in suitcases. We had a ton to throw out, and long story short the best way was to burn them. 

This transfer is coming to an end! This is President Hammond's first transfer, so literally anything is up for grabs. We are also going to close areas, as more missionaries go home then are coming into the our mission. I am most likely staying (office elders are normally here for 2, and I think the Hammonds like me) but again, anything is up for grabs. 




Not a big email but also it's been like 4 days.  We ourselves are preparing for transfers which is a bit of work to ensure everything happens smoothly for those Elders and Sisters that are being transferred.

On a different note, my studies recently have consisted a lot of reading Jesus the Christ. I am just hungering after it. It is so interesting and informative learning about my Savior. Like yes. I've read the standard works for seminary, but not really studied them in depth. Being on my mission and having an hour of study each day, with a focus and desire, has really opened my spiritual eyes. A completely different experience that 10/10 missionaries recommend.   

I also had a dream the other night. As I've said we go to the airport to pick up and drop people off very frequently (last night in fact). In my dream, I went home with one of these people. It was the end of my mission, but I remember how lost and confused I felt. I hadn't and still haven't had enough time as a missionary. I love and treasure this special time so much. It has been so hard. I have been frustrated. I've dealt with people I realllllly didn't want to. I have cried. I have felt a deep sense of lost as people that I love and saw that grabbed the iron rod and start down the path to the tree of life then let go and turn away from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

"But behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God." (Alma 26:11)

I have seen my personal growth during this period of missionary service. Introspection, turning outwards, scripture study, and helping others to learn in their Gospel infancy. I have loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

āļ­āļēāļˆāļēāļĢāļĒ์ āļ„ิ้āļ§

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!