Sharknado


July 15th, 2018
13 months, 2nd week
Thailand, Bangkok, Minburi Ward

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)


This has probably been my best and favorite week since coming to the new area! 

English class is so much fun and surprisingly I was able to remember everybody's name in my class. This was a miracle, because I never remember anybody's name, especially with a one-week Gap.  But I did it! Because of how things have works out, I am English leader again, and I'm teaching a class by myself. We have a lot of non-native English speakers, and so I'm making them students. And even though my district is huge, I'm still teaching by myself. Which is fine, I love teaching English. It's fun to do all the activities.

And we've had so many miracles this week! We've had lots of people show up to lessons or to church when we weren't thinking they would. We've had some random way sick people that we've been able to start teaching. We've gotten lots of new investigators. We've had more time to teach lessons, and these lessons have been amazing. This is all contributed to help me feel better! And I've really been trying to balance and manage my office all their duties so that I can sell proselyte as much as possible but still get my full 8 hours of sleep. It's been a challenge, and it hasn't been perfect, but I'm trying.

In the past, office Elders will go out to Zone conferences and give a training every other transfer. That other transfer happens to be this transfer, but president Hammond is wanting to have a fire first Zone Conference in Country. So we're not going. But, he still liked the training proposal we came to him with, so he had us train the Zone leaders and the sister training leaders at MLC. That was a wild experience. And also free food involved.

This past Saturday, we went with the international Sisters to the immigration Detention Center. This is where they hold immigrants whose visas expired, but they stayed in country. They're here until they pay a way to get out or if they choose to be deported, which they don't because it's a lot of pakistanis who are now Christian. Well, we went to help a member bring food in to some of the people in there. We also ate lunch with that member. That member also happens to be from the first family that was baptized in Pakistan, before it was closed to missionary work again. That was way cool, and the food was delicious. The Experience inside the center is a toss-up? They basically have two fences separated with a 2-foot gap. They have the detainee's on one side and the visitors on the other. And everybody just goes and their and yells to each other. You just straight up yellow the whole time, and it's really hard to hear anybody. I will say I felt weird talking to these strangers on the fence, but the sisters were natural. I also felt really bad about taking up fence space when there were so many other people trying to talk to family and friends. So I hung back, and I ended up talking to a lot of other people that were there to visit others. I meant people from Kenya, Pakistan, France, Georgia. It was way fun, and we're going to go back next Saturday.

Which brings us to Sunday. Oh what a wild Sunday it was. There was a funeral going on in another area in Bangkok, so a lot of members including all of the priesthood leadership went to that. Which means for second and third hour there was almost nobody there. Which means for the baptism after church, there were even less people there. Missionaries ended up eating and conducting and doing like everything for the baptism, the baptismal font wasn't filled up all the way so it was really shallow which made for an entertaining service, and there was literally just nobody there. We all kind of just made do and did the best we could!

“When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates.”
–President Thomas S. Monson

This quote was an answer to my question about how I can turn my desires into feasible action. Really the entire chapter 8 from preach my gospel, specifically the section titled accountability, was just chock-full of great things to help me in that goal. But I hope that this quote helps you with your goals. My goal is to become christ-like, to return back with my father, and a whole bunch of other small ones to help me on the way. My goal of these emails is for you to feel my love for the Thai people and for you!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!