Living in some intense THAI-mes


June 27th, 2018
13 months 1 week
Thailand, Bangkok, Minburi Ward

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)



For those that have been following my journey, I haven't made a Thai pun as my subject header for ages. I do so today in honor of my new companion- Elder Thornock (he has faithfully done so his entire mission)! He is from the MTC group below me, we switched off once when I was in Chiang Mai, he is amazing and so much fun, AND I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS NEW COMPANIONSHIP. Not only are we going to be companions in a bopping area, I am the newest office elder! This title holds different connotation in different missions, but here (to my current understanding) we are somewhat glorified secretaries. We put handle certain paperworks, we handle technology problems, we will probably go out to zone conferences this transfer, we do errands for the mission president (getting food and people for different activities and reasons), which means we also drive! We also work quite a bit with the mission president, meaning I will get to be with President and Sister Johnson in their final days here (they leave this week ðŸ˜ž) and that I will be working with and welcoming the incoming President and Sister Hammond! I am so excited and turnt for this new transfer and area.
Quiet meditation during study!
With it, I am saddened to be leaving this area and my āļĨูāļ Elder Keller. I really enjoyed training him this past transfer. I don't know how much he got out of it, but I learned a ton and grew so much. Some fun facts about this transfer:
  • This is the longest we've waited for a transfer calls. Normally we find out sometime Tuesday night (wednesday is pday so we have time to pack and prepare to be at the office on Thursday before 6am). This last, most crucial transfer, we waited until around 11:30am Wednesday. SOOOOO LATE. Very stressful.
  • It is a crucial transfer because not only is President Johnson, but so many missionaries are too. The big group (20-30) of missionaries that come in after high school are finishing their missions. Their replacements are just entering the MTC- so they are 2 months behind. We are closing about 8 companionships because of the disparity between arriving and departing missionaries. So anything was game; no one was secure in staying. Not only is there much movement going on, but a lot of people are being called as Zone and District leaders to replace all the leaving peoples.
  • This is the second time I am "shotgunning" this zone, Bangkok East Zone. Shotgunning is missionary slang for staying in an area for only a single transfer before leaving. I last did this in my greenie area, Bangnaa.
  • My new district leader in Asoke is....... Elder Sudekum! We were companions for 2 transfers in Surin, he was in my district here in Minburi, and we will continue to be in the same district!
  • One companionship in both Minburi and Sapaan sung, the 2 areas in the district, are both closing. So as Elder Pflueger and I both shotgun555, the 2 missionaries that were here before us are staying. This is their third transfer in the same house, and first together! I think that this is the best way for President Johnson to have combined the two areas and their teaching pools.

For English class, we taught about music. This was so fun. We did some vocab, then taught and danced the Cupid Shuffle, Cha Cha Slide, and Macarena with our large Basic class. For the spiritual thought we sang I Am A Child Of God. So many missionaries dread and despise English class (I don't know why- so many convert baptisms come through this small 2 hour class), but it is really so much fun if you put the energy into it. I've heard complaints about how the classes won't participate, but I've yet to come across a class that is like that- if I put in the energy and enthusiasm and planning. That is totally a principle that applies to more than just English class- think of all the opportunities you have to improve your experience and that of others in just your regular activities! At the BSA NYLT session I did years ago, we had a simple yet effective chant:
Enthusiasm Check
Boy am I en-THUUUUU-SIASTIC
H-A-P-P-Y
I LOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVE N-Y-L-T*

*to be switched with whatever circumstance you need to do with a better attitude.

"For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing. For behold, it is not counted unto him for righteousness. For behold, if a man being evil giveth a gift, he doeth it grudgingly; wherefore it is counted unto him the same as if he had retained the gift; wherefore he is counted evil before God."
Moroni 7:6-8 shows us that we can do our calling, go to school, fulfill responsibilities. But if you aren't doing it with the right attitude, why do it? It's not helping you any? Maybe try to fix yourself up then. Not saying that y'all're evil, but the rest of the stuff in there definitely applies.

In other news, BAPTISM. There was a big mess around our two investigators that I've talked about, regarding boundaries and such, but President Johnson himself gave the go ahead for them. AND THEY DID AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. I was privileged to be baptize āļĄัāļ§, and my companion baptized āđāļ‹āļĄ. It was so sweet and great and my companion's first. They are going to be awesome members and potentially missionaries!

I also had my final interview with President Johnson this past week. It was so great and heartfelt and full of honesty and so long and amazing and it just helped me feel better and receive some direction and guidance I had been looking for. I testify that the Lord calls people for a reason and that our Priesthood Leaders are really here to help us. I encourage you to set an appointment with your Priesthood Leader to at least chat. Maybe you have a confession to make and repentance to work through, maybe you want lack focus and direction, maybe you have a testimony issue or are confused with some doctrine, maybe you need help personally or with a calling. There are literally so many different things that the Priesthood Leaders are there to help you with. So let them do their job and help you!

I feel like I've spent so long putting this email together. In reality, I just started much later than I normally do, I am doing it on the computer for the first time probably this year, and I am talking to other people and doing other things on the computer simultaneously. But I have exerted the effort, shared like 10 spiritual thoughts (go read the scriptures and pray- 12), and I am tired. Enjoy the email, loves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

āļ­āļēāļˆāļēāļĢāļĒ์ āļ„ิ้āļ§

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!