The Work Continues



October 29th, 2017
5 months, 1 week
Thailand, Bangkok, Chaing Mai District

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)


Family Home Evening was fantastic.  We visited our Filipino Relief Society President and family, aka Mom. She always loads us UP with great food every time we visit. After dinner, we played a game where their two kids had to draw a gospel picture with their eyes closed while someone else guesses. One of the budding artists had my companion, Elder Fylgare, helping him ("guiding" his hand). We turned this around into an object lesson and related it to having member fellow shippers involved while teaching investigators.  

As I mentioned last week, we've decided to keep a focus on less active members.  So for this week, we've visited at least one a day. It's been great to really get to know the members and to discuss the gospel and bring people back.

Each transfer I choose a Christlike attribute to work on and become better at, this transfer I've chosen to work on hope. A lot of my personal goals I've set are somewhat associated with it. A big focus is on remaining positive.  I've already seen how tremendous of a difference that it makes when I'm always looking for the good and how it keeps my attitude up.  Something that I've noticed I've started doing is finding humor in all situations. So I leave situations that used to stress me out or leave me in a less-than-good mood laughing and smiling - sometimes I'll have an introspection moment and compare it to how I normally would react and it weirds me out to see the difference.

English class was so much fun! We taught the advanced class and our subject we chose was restaurants. We role- played at the end designating roles for hosts, customers, chef, manager, waiter. We then had some members that were at the church come and help out while a little boy ran around. We made our students deal with them, and threw in some of our own complications (wrong order, chef left, host on phone, etc.). It was stressful for them, and it got loud, but it was so funny and awesome.  Think it taught them more also in a real world situation - instead of just from a "text" book.

Our district has started teaching English to a class of about 30 Chinese students for 2 hours on Wednesdays. It's definitely harder than our regular one, because we can't resort to Thai. But it's all good. We taught about emotions, and played a few games. Then we took a bunch of pictures together, oh my I felt like a celebrity. Everyone wanted pictures. And their regular teacher was in love with us 555.

Thursday was the anniversary of the King's death, so we stayed inside for most of the day. We had moved our district meeting, weekly planning, appointments, and studies. Most places were closed for dinner, but we found this super nice family who was making and giving out free omelets, toast, water, and these good mushrooms (if you know me besides my parents persistence in trying to get me to eat mushrooms I never really did).  . We talked with the family, and two travelers- one from US one from Germany. We were all great friends by the end of dinner! It was so awesome to share the gospel in Thailand with people from different nations.

Friday we went on switch offs. I led my area with the new Zone Leader, Elder Manwaring. It was a great experience for filled with miracles of the Spirit while talking with people! Although they may not know what the feeling was we can tell when they are feeling the Spirit.  We concluded with some soccer as we got three guys to come whom we had invited earlier in the day.  This allows a causal and more natural way to start talking with members.  

Our ward put on a primary/youth Halloween activity, with carving watermelons - watermelons because they are cheaper.  They had a lot of food and different activities and the youth were doing sports.  Elder Fylgare and I helped 2 little boys carve their watermelons.  We were able to do so without getting too dirty :0

A big focus at church yesterday was Family History. Why? So people can take their own names to the temple when it finally gets here! I know I didn't really care about Family History until the latter part of college, when I got obsessed. I challenge everyone to get online at familysearch.org and complete at least a 5 generation pedigree chart. For me, that would be me-parents-gparents-ggparents-gggparents. It may be difficult, but much easier for you "white" people than the Thais - record keeping was not a big focus a few generations ago. I think if they can do it, so can y'all!

I've also included pictures of our current internet cafe where we go on Pdays to do our emails.



Love you! Happy Halloween!

เอ็ลเดอรื มอนทากิว
Elder Montague

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!