The Start of a New Transfer!


October 23th, 2017
5 months
Thailand, Bangkok, Chaing Mai District

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)


The start of a new transfer! My new companion is Elder Michael (Dane) Flygare, hailing from Provo, Utah. He's been in Esan his whole mission, and he's now bringing the fire to Chiang Mai! I'm so pumped to work with him.  Our focus during our weekly planning and what we've already done this week has been on member and Less Active work.  I've been impressed to push on these two things for a bit now. 


Starting at the beginning of the week, after dropping off my companion at the church on Transfer day, all the departing missionaries from our area (2 elders, 2 sisters) left for the bus station. I began my switch off with Elder Hoopes, the Zone Leader. We went to visit and teach lesson 5 (laws and ordinances) to his investigator who is about to be baptized. The problem for me is that I've taught lesson 5 the least amount and it has the most random and unlearned vocabulary, but I struggled through. I believe the Spirit makes up for my lack of linguistic skills in these situations.

The next day, we spent in my area. We taught our dater (investigators who have accepted a baptismal date) couple, then biked hard core to meet up with another dater. We had lunch with her and 2 RMs (returned missionaries) that helped us teach her. It was an awesome lesson despite the poor environment. She was progressing great and was engaged in our discussions. After this last lesson though, the next day she called us and said she wouldn't be coming to our church because her sister-in-law said her church was better, so she'd just go there. WHAT IN THE WORLD. OURS' IS THE RESTORED CHURCH. :(  She wouldn't pick up our calls and blocked us, so we are trying to work on her through one of those 2 RM's. 

We taught and visited a few members and people we previously had invited and had appointments with.  Then we headed home and deep cleaned the Zone Leader's house as best as we could while we waited (the incoming missionaries' were delayed and didn't end up arriving until midnight). That house hasn't paid their water bill in a little bit so the water was shut off (lol).  Because of that, we were unable to really clean the bathroom or kitchen, but we cleaned every other room and made it spotless!  Elder Hoopes said he didn't have anymore room in his suitcase, so anything I wanted I could keep. YOU BET I TOOK ADVANTAGE. The house hasn't been properly cleaned in a long while, so I ended up walking away with a carry on luggage piece, some white shirts, pants, shoes, office supplies, and more. It was all so perfect and so needed - making it worthwhile cleaning his house like that and not mine.

On Friday, there was a sister who moved here from Esan who was completely ready to be baptized. So we had a last second baptism! We booked it on our bikes to our ward building to get there in time (30 minute ride in) and arrived during the pre-talks. I once again was blessed with the opportunity to be a witness. When we got back to the chapel, they made me play the piano for the interlude hymns and the closing hymn. I did it without getting to practice or warm up, coupled with how stressed I get when I have to play on tempo and keep going even if I make an error.  (I like to get the chord right before moving on, but I couldn't), made it a great time. I think I played so terrible, but I endured (or the members endured). Yikes. I always thought my parents didn't know what they were talking about getting good enough to play Hymns on the piano as I may have to do it on my mission.  Well I guess maybe they did.  Afterward, we played some bomb soccer with a bunch of youth/YSA in the parking lot.

On Saturday, we crashed a relief society activity where they were making some coconut treats. We've really started to get to know our branch president and work with him (he's been a bit shy with the American missionaries.). We went and visited our Elder's Quorum President who makes delicious treats for a living, so yes he was generous and gave us some.  My stomach enjoys the generosity of the members (lol).  Between these two visits, we've gotten some good planning and appointments in.

This has been a fantastic start to a new transfer! Today, we went to the same mountain I went to for my first P-day in Chiang Mai (with the strawberry fields). We went with a few members and took a bunch of pictures , rode the carts, visited a wat and waterfall, and just overall had a blast.  It's kind of nice doing these activities on P-days with members as it allows us to fellowship and build relationships in a non "church" way.  We have a FHE appointment tonight with the Relief Society President and an Less Active sister she is inviting. Having a member work with us is always better and meets with more success.  


Craziest news though I need to share (although it won't mean as much to you guys), I just found out the my two MTC teachers ARE GETTING MARRIED. Everyone in my group was totally trying to set them up and we thought they were dating. Turns out they might've been (who knows- it's Utah so it might not've been 555). I think it's great and they are a great match for eachother.  

A challenge for everyone- read a chapter in any of the scriptures and search for joy. What does the chapter say about joy, how does it help give you joy, why would it make you joyful? I know that that is the primary purpose of the scriptures, so you'll 100% will be able to complete this exercise! Have Joy! Be Happy!

Love

--
เอ็ลเดอรื มอนทากิว
Elder Montague

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!