Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!

October 2nd, 2017
4 months, 2nd week
Thailand, Bangkok, Chaing Mai District

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net (I would love to hear from you)


On Monday, we went to an Family Home Evening (FHE) at the same family who we visited in the hospital. This time, however, it was for Shish-kebabs and หมูกระทะ (muugratha- the meat buffet thing I had last week). The food was fantastic and it was a great fellow-shipping opportunity as we had nonmembers and recent converts there!



During district meetings on Tuesdays, my District Leader (and companion) likes to start off with something fun. This week, he choose to have us do another scripture chase, which surprise- I won! Even more exciting than that though, are the airplane tickets we bought (and paid for at 7/11- you can literally pay for anything and any bill there).  On Thursday I have to go to Bangkok for my visa renewal, and nothing else would get me there early enough (on the downside, I arrive 1am). Our English class was a lesson on weather, with a little bit of competition thrown in to help keep it fun for our students.




Wednesday was Zone Leader switch-offs. I stayed over at their house and was with Elder Ward for the day. We went to a nearby public park and invited people, eventually joined by both sister companionships. It was different experience than normal, but not as exciting as I anticipated. We did have an interesting proselyting experience: we invited this guy and his brother at their house but they said they weren't interested. As we were gearing up to leave, I saw they had several large fish tanks and a koi fish pond.  So I just started walking toward them and asked to see them. Turns out he has a bunch of animals, including said fish, some lobster and shrimp, an owl, and a hawk that they allowed us to handle! The gentleman is an artist and uses them as "inspiration" (I think his dad has money, because I didn't see any of them in any of his artwork) for his paintings, which are very large. That night, we had dinner with all of the sisters and enjoyed each others company.  However we were saddened by one of the new sisters still in her first transfer announcing due to health issues she would be going home. It was a very sad time for all of us, but I'm glad she's made all these decisions through prayer and with peace from the Lord. She was actually leaving that night, and her trainer picked up a Thai sister waiting on a visa (so she starts serving here).

After inviting during the day, we had a dinner appointment the next night with the Thorups (prominent caucasian family in our branch) for their second oldest son's birthday. Didn't realize it was a party but we had to participate in the activities - we didn't want to be rude.  We again had a nerf blowgun war, followed by Hawaiian Haystacks that were delicious and fresh.  We were able to finish it off with Chocolate Texas Sheetcake and ice cream. I was a happy Elder!
  
Friday started with an excellent lesson with a very humble mountain-come-down sister. She accepted and kept all of our invitations, and we she attended church on Sunday! That day we ended up hitchhiking a bit, which was also a fun (and safe) adventure.  More importantly it's a lot less tiring and sweaty than biking.....

Today we went with a member who came up from Asoke (Ronny-he's such a cool dude). We went out to the highest point in Thailand, atop a mountain, and walked around a bit. We checked out some nature walk areas, then a massive waterfall. We came back to town and consumed Shabu Shi out of their stuff (not really, but I'd like to think we put a dent in their stores).


This week I am proud to announce my having finished both Our Search For Happiness and Doctrine and Covenants! I would encourage everyone to check them out with some fresh eyes, because they have so much knowledge and direction for our lives in them. They are filled with cool stuff about OUR time, and as I studied them they have expanded my knowledge on the Church.  

I love everyone, and appreciate all of the emails I receive! If I don't give a super good response, it's probably because I'm running out of time on the computer and I have other tasks to complete as well, so I apologize! I love them and save them!  I've included a video to show everyone a little what the area is like.


I have also hit my mark this week of being in Thailand longer than the MTC! Things are really moving along now555.
Love you!

เอ็ลเดอรื มอนทากิว
Elder Montague

Comments

  1. Hi Elder Montague, Your mom just sent me your email and blog addresses so I am checking out your blog. What a great way to share your missionary experiences! Very good to read and see that you are doing so well. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว