Mesmer-Thai-zed by the MTC

Day 22
June 14, 2017 Tues
Provo, UT


We hosted once more, but since the new buildings have opened we received different responsibilities. This week, I helped direct missionaries to the correct floor for their classrooms in building T4, instead of helping them get their stuff like last week. 

Our newest member to the zone arrived on Wednesday, from Thailand! His name is Elder Namtam and he's learning Lao and English so he can go to San Diego to preach the gospel. He was shy and a tad scared the first day or two (didn't help that he couldn't speak any English), but he's warmed up to us, and he is loving it now! We love him and having him- it's so nice to have a native Thai around.

We tried to do a speak-only-Thai day on Thursday. It was so hard as I struggled to form my thoughts in Thai, but we made it happen. Over this past week, (with much of the Lord's help) I have memorized the Thai consonants by class and the accompanying letter. This has been a super struggle but this week I am going to get a better grasp on them.  Then I can start mixing in some vowels.  It's super cool though, because I am able to start recognizing the letters in written script, and have begun reading some of the smaller words and phrases!

So after service Friday, we were in the custodial closest and the employee supervisors told us we could help ourselves to the "free" bucket (lost and found that had been there for a while). If you know anything about me, of course I banked in on the free stuff. I scored a full bottle of shampoo, a mostly unused bottle of stain remover spray, half a bottle of Aquanet (the only stuff I've found that will hold my hair), hand sanitizer, lotion, and a picture of Jesus' baptism. The blessings of service are real 😃. 

The "old" missionaries have (sadly) been leaving this week as they have completed their two months.  But on the brightside, that means that they left more stuff behind! I have inherited much- I am a very happy boy right now.

On Sunday, I SAW PRESIDENT UCHTDORF. We were like 10 feet away from each other and we definitely gave a knowing glance of homeboy-ship,  which we now share. I would've gone closer but he had a bunch of people (senior missionaries, MTC presidency, security, and other important people I guess) around him.  So I choose to continue to dinner rather than attempt to push through the crowd.  
Because of the older district missionaries leaving, we had some branch leadership reorganization. Elders Truman (old DL) and Guanzon are now the Zone Leaders, and surprise I am the new District Leader (this actually came as a surprise. I did not think nor particularly want the spot). My responsibilities include getting mail twice daily, leading discussions, conducting interviews, and making sure my district is gucci.

Another small piece of good news, I finished my typhoid pills yesterday.  FINALLY!!,  no more fasting outside of Fast Sunday

As a class, we've been on a roller coaster of stress. Between learning the language and all the lessons we prepare and teach, our stress levels rise. Our teachers will notice back off by giving us a lesson and go through an activity to get us to chill out.  And we will ... until we do more and so on. It's the MTC circle of life.

It's so hard trying to balance personal study, preparing for our 2 investigators, Phat and GÃēb, and then throw in learning vocab, grammar, letters and lessons.  The process really helps me realize we need to come unto the Lord.  I am definitely relying on Him more and more.

I only have what, another month and some change? I'm surviving!


-- 
Elder Montague

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

āļ­āļēāļˆāļēāļĢāļĒ์ āļ„ิ้āļ§

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!