Beer with me here....

April 22nd, 2019
40 days remaining
Thailand, Isan, Udornthani Ward 

samuel.montague@myldsmail.net


Soooooo, I didn't send an email last week. That is because it was.... SONGKRAN! I do not remember how much I wrote about it the week before, but it is the Thai new year, celebrated as a water festival. We were able to go out and play on both Saturday and Monday, but Saturday also held General Conference in Thai (I have since finished it in English, and it is amazing!) and Monday included talking to family (which took precedence to weekly email). We took to the streets and just walked down a few streets that were heavily concentrated. There were people in front of their houses and stores with buckets of (ice) water for splashing and refills, people driving by slowly in
truck beds with a similar set up but more mobile, and people walking up and down like us. There was so much music, so much water, and so much baby powder (they put it on your face). Incredible second Songkran.

Transfers also occurred. Elder Felila has moved to Samut Prakan (he will go to the same building as my first!), and in his place is Elder Peter James Larson. He has a brother with a middle name John, so the trio is complete. His longest place of residence was his first: Connecticut. This 18 year old has also called Utah and Hong Kong his home, and has has the opportunity to visit many other countries. I served in his first area and now he comes to his second. His many older siblings are mostly all married and moved out, but he still calls them all on pday. His profile view is that of Joseph Wolfe.

We have had a stellar few days together already! He is hilarious and agreeable and that is what our experience has been so far. We are finding and teaching and I am excited to wreck Udorn with love before I have to leave (it is surreally happening in 5 weeks now...).

Elder Khanakham (area 70), his wife, and President Hammond came up this past weekend. We were able to bring them to some teaching appointments, which was special. It is a cool opportunity to teach with such spiritual people. We were also privileged to hear them speak during Sacrament meeting, Sunday school, and a fireside that followed regular services. So much.

After that, บ. เบียร์ was baptized! In a brief and smaller service, we witnessed his acceptance of Christ's Atonement as manifested by entering into the sacred baptismal covenant. His new "family" had been there the whole time, helping nurture, teach, and fellowship. They were also able to assist with the service. It certainly carried a special feeling. 


Easter came and passed with me almost not realizing it. There is no hub bub about it here, which I guess helped to focus my thoughts on the Savior and the reason for the season. I love Jesus and am eternally grateful for the sacrifice He made that I still don't even fully comprehend or apply. But I continue to try!

Elder Montague
เอ็ลเดอร์ มอนทากิว
Thailand Bangkok Mission

Transfers left

On splits




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time makes me uncomfortable

อาจารย์ คิ้ว

Oh (Chiang) Mai, time goes so fast!